Register | Login | Contact | Home

Need Jesus? >>> Are you a Christian?

Search for at
Access Christian Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 5 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Experiences of Accurately Predicting Corner Kick Odds withou About You! macgaihari1 0 Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am
macgaihari1 View latest post
How much is the ratio 3:2? What is the most detailed way to About You! nhuy5656 0 Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am
nhuy5656 View latest post
Guide To Read Spanish Football Betting Odds About You! macgaihari1 0 Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:50 am
macgaihari1 View latest post
buy good replica watches About You! enyia 0 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:22 am
enyia View latest post
buy good replica watches About You! enyia 0 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:21 am
enyia View latest post

A Mature Son or A Perpetual Child

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Access Christian Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesjude

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:26 pm Post subject: A Mature Son or A Perpetual Child Reply with quote

The NT uses these two words to mean child. One is teknon which places the emphasis on physical birth of a child to the parent and is used in both the natural and figurative sense.
The other is huios often translated son which stresses the quality of the parent child relationship and the likeness of character between parent and child. It it also used in the natural and figurative sense.

Here are examples of huios used to describe the dignity of the relationship between a son and Father God when they are brought from a born again child to a mature son.
Romans 8:14-15
New King James Version (NKJV)

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
The sense is these (sons) and no other as their conduct gives evidence of the dignity of the relationship and likeness of character to their Father.

Romans 8:19

19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.

It would be fair to say that these are born again children (teknon) who are "adopted" or brought to maturity (sons/huios) by the "Spirit of adoption".

Here is an example of teknon-child i.e. born again child of God:
Romans 8:16-17

16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children (teknon) of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

It is clear the child needs the training of the Holy Spirit to become a mature son. If He is not receiving it or rebelling against it he is not a son but illegitimate: Hebrews 12:5-11.

Below is an interesting usage of the word huios by Jesus.
Matthew 5:9

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
Matthew 5:44-45

44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,[a] 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Notice Jesus says that God is their father as in child-teknon. Disciples do not do these things to be born again or God's child, but being children they make the fact manifest by demonstrating the character of their heavenly Father as a son would.

The question each professing Christian must consider is are they in the process of training by the Holy Spirit to manifest the attributes of sonship?

Here is what Jesus says about those who are in rebellion against that training doing what is right in the eyes of religion or in their own sight:
Matthew 7:21-23 New King James Version (NKJV)
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Here are some additional moral characteristics of sons:
Luke 16:8 honesty and transparency in dealings with others.
John 12:36 walking in the truth (light) of the word, not resisting that light Romans 5:1-4, and paying the cost to get truth and walk in it (Romans 12:1-2).
Matthew 9:15 friends (sons) of the bridegroom/bride chamber i.e. those that supply what is necessary for the wedding which seems the most necessary thing is a bride! They submit to the training and help others to do the same; which is training in bible faith, holiness and the death of the self life.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Access Christian Forum Index ->  General Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: